Friday, August 29, 2008

in the beginning...

My writing career began when I learned to read. I fell in love with books from a very early age. In fact, I am relatively certain that this affair with the written word began many lifetimes ago. At any rate, although I remember little about my childhood, I do remember the excited feeling that I would get when we went to the library or had a chance to write stories. The other bit that I am able to recall from my childhood is around visiting my best friend's house and recording stories that I would tell. I always began with "Once upon a time," and the rest would be made up as I would go along. When I was in high school, I was part of a small group of storytellers that would go to the local library and tell stories to small groups of elementary aged children. From there I went to college and was told by my creative writing teacher that I had talent. After I graduated from college I was fortunate to land my first teaching job. From there, life took over. I got married, had two children, and taught school for the next thirty-nine years, earning my masters, national board certification, and the presidential award in excellence in elementary science for my state (Maine) as I zoomed through my life's story. I am presently sixty-one years old and have yet to fulfill my dream to write to publish. I have much to offer and have worked at honing my skills and continue to work. It's an ongoing and never-ending process. Having said all of that, I am anxious to begin. Do wish me luck.

No comments: